Morphing Facebook

Posted by: Gabriella Sannino

Facebook Friendly Marketing

“Stick with what you are good at.”

That should be the theme of platforms that are created for a specific function – but inevitably they get swept away by the times and try to be something they aren’t.

Attempts to change to meet a popular trend usually fail, as Facebook is discovering.
Facebook is leading the pack of mighty morphers who are trying to ride the massive success of Twitter—(unsuccessfully, I might add).

Once the golden child of the Internet, Facebook has come under fire lately for a slew of trouble including an attempt to usurp their user’s information by claiming the copyrights on both print and media material posted by individual members.

That is just the beginning of the troubles the once formidable Facebook has, however. Twitter, the baby of the Internet, who challenges its loyal following to create microblogs of meaning in 140 characters or less is giving Facebook a run for its money, and they don’t like it.

The result of their clinging to the upper echelons of success is a changing face on their platform to copy the Twitter atmosphere, their nudging of followers to tout their Facebook links on Twitter and all other social network platforms and a general disintegration of what made Facebook so popular in the first place.

In fact, originally Facebook was a sort of guarded society, a membership club that only other college and University students could apply to.  It was a platform much like MySpace with regular blogging capabilities but in a more secure atmosphere that combated spamming and viruses.

And then they tried… more than just an attempt to emulate Twitter’s success. Facebook wanted to BE Twitter. They made a play to buy out the growing cyber child, but Twitter baulked, much to the glee of their admirers.

Facebook needs to do what Facebook used to do best, be a social connection for students and faculty of universities, even the expansion to the mainstream business world is fine, but leave microblogging and Twitter alone.

Facebook, our message to you is this: Be true to your followers.  Leave us to tweet away on Twitter.  We promise there is room in our hearts for you too – if you stay true to who you were.  A place for us to create groups, play games and find long lost schoolmates.

Wanted to thank my Co-writer Jenn Horowitz

Jenn Reply

We told ’em! Great work!

March 14, 2009 at 11:22 am
    My Melange Reply

I totally concur!!

March 14, 2009 at 12:20 pm
    Benjamin Falk Reply

I agree that it appears that the latest redesign of Facebook seems to try and make it into a variation of Twitter… but I think that it is too early to tell whether it is a good thing or bad thing just yet. Perhaps a little time to adjust is necessary?

However, I tend to think — despite my own use of Facebook — that Facebook’s popularity will fade, and some new social networking site will take its place. Facebook started as a place for college kids to share a bit about themselves with other college kids. It was relatively private, so it didn’t matter what you shared. When it opened up to a wider audience, letting in parents and possible employers, Facebook lost some of that “cool” factor. Suddenly, it mattered what you shared, since parents and relatives could be watching. Ultimately, I think teenagers/college age kids will move on and find something new that is more private.

March 14, 2009 at 12:25 pm
    Luis Serpa Reply

Although I agree that Facebook may be maybe trying to hard to be like twitter and, with that, getting farther from what made them a successful site, I have to raise the point that twice already Facebook “adapted” to new situations against critics and even against most of their users opinions and they are still growing non-stop and each change proved to be the right choice on hindsight. So i won’t judge their move right now as being wrong. I tend to think they gone too far this time, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they are right once more… Time will tell.

March 14, 2009 at 9:33 pm
      Gabriella Reply

If you are to stay up with technology then you have to accept that with growth comes change. Some is good and some well… It’s still good at least they are trying right? Lets see what happens, I am open to growth.

March 15, 2009 at 5:47 am
    Gabriella Reply

Well playing the devils advocate people ask to be followed on Twitter… Does that make it okay. Don’t get me wrong I love twitter, but the facebook crowd seems naive in many ways.

March 15, 2009 at 1:46 pm
    Keep It Classy Jen Reply

I completely agree. Twitter is Twitter. Facebook is Facebook…understand that we love you still.

Great write up!