Social Media Marketing: Four Reasons to Join the Revolution

Social Networks

Posted by: Gabriella Sannino

social_mediaWith television commercials validating the importance of online social media portals like Twitter and Facebook, the battle for domination in the social media marketing arena is leaving many feeling confused and dazed.  After all, as the language of the Tweet-osphere cuts communications to 140 characters or less, it also add a unique brand of instant marketing spoken only by the Tweeple of Twitter.

Realistically, there are as many reasons to invest in a good social media marketing campaign as there is website, but the top five reasons that you should be joining the social marketing and networking revolution include:

• Increased SEO and Rankings—Participating in online marketing efforts like Twitter, Digg, and Facebook add dimensions to your effort.  Moreover, when others in your online communities link to your posts or your blog content is Tweeted by members of your social media groups, you ranking increase with every single link.  Further, as search engines love new content, blogs are highly prized by search engines for fresh material.
  • Exposure Equals Traffic on Steroids—Marketing is all about going where the people meet to share information about your products or services.  In this case, more people meet online in social media groups each week than pass through the New York subway system.  Imagine gaining exposure to every one of those people.  With social media marketing, that goal is obtainable with less cost than a billboard or an advertisement.  At this point, an important side note is to make sure you measure social media time as part of your ROI cost because time still equals money…even on the internet!
  • Voice of the Customer Connection—Many business owners pass up the opportunity to find out what their customers (or potential customers) think about their products.  Through contests or online surveys, you can poll your market audience on subjects including pricing, features, or benefits of your products.
  • Fluid Flexibility of Marketing Message—In traditional marketing, the expenditure of A/B Split testing is enough to stop most businesses from deploying several marketing efforts to see which one works best.   In fact, social media marketing is the best place to do A/B Split testing because your marketing message can be quickly changed to meet the reaction of your audience.  One of my favorite case studies about A/B testing is Geiko, from the Gecko to the Caveman to the stack on bills with all seeing eyes; Geiko is testing three different marketing campaigns for audience response.

It is easy to stand back and wait for the electronic dust to clear instead of stepping into the social media  fight; however, denying the existence and usefulness of social media marketing will put you in the same category as the person who thought the internet was just a “passing fade!”  With a minimal investment of time and attention to the creation of a good social marketing plan, you can boost your exposure, gain potential customers, and instill an efficiency in your marketing efforts that traditional marketing  cannot meet.

rachelbernal Reply

I absolutely agree with you. The face of online marketing and public relations is changing rapidly with the growth of twitter and the likes. I find that online marketing in this day and age is the best way to go about promoting yourself. Nobody reads magazines anymore let alone tv, even if they are watching tv most people use tivo and just skip all of the advertising anyway. Everything and anything is easily accessed with the internet and nowadays it's practically free for anything! Digital advertising is here to stay, either you jump on board or you drown!!!

October 15, 2009 at 11:41 am
    Bryan Reply

I'm not really a fan of social media and i don't do it that often. I'm more on article marketing and guest posting. Thanks for this great article about social media.

October 19, 2009 at 10:21 pm
    SEOcopy Reply

Well I am glad you enjoyed the post Bryan. Some people aren't fans of social media but if you run a business now days big or small it is definitely something to consider in your marketing strategy. Thanks for keeping the conversation going.

October 20, 2009 at 2:25 am
    SEOcopy Reply

Rachel I am amazed that people use Tivo in this economic slump… but you are right print is on it's way out. I am old fashioned and I still like grabbing a paper sitting at the table and reading. With that said, I do seem to find the latest news on Twitter before the rest of the world has caught up. Case in point when the king of pop died. Thanks for keeping the conversation going.

October 20, 2009 at 2:31 am
    avatarl Reply

I'm not a big fan as regards social media, but I notice that I'm in the minority because it is most of my friends like, and may be me one day, like, everything is possible.
    Cheers!

October 21, 2009 at 3:32 am
    SEOcopy Reply

Hey Avatari liking social media and using it for business are two different things. There are many people that just don't like Social media… They are either not into the technology or not that into you. Which is fine, but using it as a business tool has given the small business a voice! Thanks for your input!

October 21, 2009 at 6:03 am
    SEOcopy Reply

October 21, 2009 at 2:49 pm
    SEOcopy Reply

October 21, 2009 at 2:50 pm
    SEOcopy Reply

October 21, 2009 at 2:51 pm
    Web Development Company Reply

Finding the page from searching google organic.very nice for the topic.Great and Thx

November 5, 2009 at 4:34 am
    rainmakertom Reply

Maybe it is SMO now! 🙂

November 5, 2009 at 3:16 pm
    SEOcopy Reply

Hey Tomislav nice to see you around these parts! Yeah as a matter of fact we wrote something to that effect a while back here http://ow.ly/AbJI Thanks for keeping the conversation going!

November 7, 2009 at 5:19 am
    SEOcopy Reply

Would love to know what keywords you searched… let me know if you come around again!

November 7, 2009 at 5:24 am
    power chords Reply

Thanks for the info. I personally enjoyed reading your article. I hope to read more of your post next time.

November 7, 2009 at 6:01 pm
    linksgiving Reply

Thank you Gabriella for this interesting and informative article.

November 14, 2009 at 4:06 pm
    albuquerque web design Reply

Really important post to me.Totally agree with you and your blog is really nice.Thanks for sharing.

December 8, 2009 at 1:28 am
    Male Celebrity Wallpapers Reply

Would like to know what keywords you searched… let me know if you come around again!

December 22, 2009 at 4:47 am
      Gabriella Reply

humm I wish I knew what you were referring to… Keywords I searched for?

December 22, 2009 at 10:21 am