What does it take to succeed in Blogging and be seen as an industry leader?
As with most things in life, it’s not really that hard but it does take time, effort and commitment.
So what are some of the key features of an award winning Blog? What are the traits of an industry leader?
- Be consistent. If you get people hooked on your Blog and then you leave them hanging by not posting for a while, you lose some of your audience and cred. I’m guilty of this one myself. I guest Blog so often, I neglect my own Blog. I need to get to work on that!
- Be Unique. Be You. Everyone out there reports the same news. When Google updates their algorithm, you can count on an influx of posts that day. Rather than just regurgitate the same info as everyone else, add your personal thoughts and insights. Tell people what the news means to you and how you plan to change things as a result of it.
- Be controversial. Don’t be afraid to stir things up. Propose a different way of looking at things. Question authority and common opinions. Dig dipper and get to the heart of an issue. Don’t argue for the sake of arguing, but never accept because it’s the popular belief. Trailblazers think differently all the time and that’s what it takes to be innovative.
- Be funny. Everyone loves a good laugh, so when it makes sense work some humor in there. Or some pop culture references. The bottom line is your content has to be relatable and although people vary in so many ways, we can all come together and laugh and you want to use that to connect with readers.
- Be creative. Tell stories with your writing. Of course it depends on the topic but usually you can work a good story in to make a stronger point that readers will connect to.
- Invite commentary and engagement. Sometimes people just need to be asked to comment and participate and they will, so don’t forget to ask!
- Be visual. In addition to the picture you paint with your words, be sure to share pictures and video. Everyone likes something they can see and often that helps drive the point home and makes the post more memorable.
- Be bold. Tell it like it is. Don’t be offensive but don’t be afraid to be bold and shake things up. You won’t please everyone, but that’s OK. Stand up for what you believe in and don’t back down because of cyber bullies. Saying “This is what I think and I’m right!” doesn’t get the job done. BUT saying “I know this isn’t a popular opinion, but here is what I think….. and here’s why….” is a great way to go. That way you offer the reason – which gets people thinking. They may not agree with you, but they’ll remember that you stood up and said something different than the usual party line.
So what tips do you have? I’d love to keep building this list!