Create Clickable Call To Actions In Youtube Videos

YouTube Logo

Posted by: Donna Fontenot

youtube-iconYoutube, as we all know, is mean and petty by not allowing us to include clickable links within a video. Sure, sure, it gives us the ability to add a clickable link in the description below the video, but you and I both know how much more effective a nice call to action is right inside the video itself, right? Of course, there’s more than one way to skin a cat video (excuse the bad joke). Here are a couple of free ways to get that all important clickable call-to-action right inside a Youtube video. (I admit that using the word “inside” is a bit misleading, but hey, it’s close enough to the truth, so let it slide, will ya?)

We’ve used our International SEO video in the examples below to show how easy it is to create clickable links in a Youtube video.

Method One: LinkedTube

LinkedTube makes it very easy to add a call-to-action button in the top right corner of your video. It also enables you to use different messaging to complete your call to action. The button text is your main message, but when a visitor hovers over the button, they’ll see two more short messages of your choice. This gives you a little more flexibility in grabbing the visitor’s attention.

First, let’s look at a screenshot of the LinkedTube interface. As you can see, you simply input the information requested in the short form, preview the results, and grab the embed code.

linkedtube form

And here is the final result. Notice the button in the upper right corner? Be sure to hover over the button to see the two extra lines of text that show up, and of course, click it to see that it actually works.

Method Two: Mozilla Popcorn

Mozilla Popcorn has a lot more features and enables you to do some really amazing things. For the purposes of this post, we’ll simply add our clickable call to action, but feel free to delve into all the rest of Popcorn’s capabilities.

Popcorn uses the familiar movie editing timeline, enabling us to attach “events” to any portion of the timeline. We’ll use the Popup event near the end of our video, but we could add other events throughout the video. For now, let’s see what the interface looks like.

popcorn interface

And here is the result of our little Popup Event test.

To see an example of all the cool things Popcorn can do, check out the sample video below.

I personally like LinkedTube’s method best, but Popcorn definitely has some interesting features as well. Which do you like best? Both of these methods are free, by the way, and I’d bet there are others I don’t know about, so please share if you know of alternate methods.

Leora Reply

Thanks for these great recommendations, Donna.

The name LinkedTube is a bit of an unfortunate name, as at first I thought this was connected to LinkedIn.

PopcornMaker at quick glance looks like it has more features, but I would suggest trying either to my clients who do a lot of videos.

February 13, 2013 at 4:18 am
      Donna Fontenot Reply

The name LinkedTube doesn’t bother me, but I can see your point. I agree that PopcornMaker has more features, and I can certainly see it being useful in many situations. Thanks for commenting, Leora!

February 13, 2013 at 9:41 am
    Ben Reply

Hi Donna,
    I work for a company called Viewbix and we allow you to not only embed links into your video but also add clickable apps into your video. These apps include email marketing which allows you to put a contact form in the video, Google Maps, an RSS and Twitter Feed and more. I would be happy to tell you about our new studio we just released this week.

February 14, 2013 at 12:03 am
      Donna Fontenot Reply

Hi Ben. I have looked at Viewbix in the past, and I remember being impressed by it. If I recall, it’s not free, which of course is fine, but that’s something to make note of anyway. Would love to know about the new studio.

February 14, 2013 at 8:21 am
        Ben Reply

Hey Donna,
        There is a free Viewbix.com plan as well as plans ranging from $5 to $100 depending on your video needs. If you want to know more about our new studio feel free to email me and I will give you a complete rundown

February 18, 2013 at 1:15 am
    Jen Smith Reply

I have been wondering how to do this and I am so glad that I found this post. It was very frustrating with all of the youtube videos out there gaining traffic and me being stuck here not knowing how they were doing it.

February 17, 2013 at 2:31 am
    Sarah Park Reply

Very helpful tips. I am not really a you tube person though I am this is one of the most important sites that help promote business. This post surely helps a lot.

February 17, 2013 at 5:57 am
    Ana Hoffman Reply

Love the suggestions, Donna. Too bad you can’t add them in YT, but better this than nothing. 🙂

February 26, 2013 at 5:03 pm
      Donna Fontenot Reply

We take what we can get, right, Ana? Thanks for dropping by!

February 26, 2013 at 11:57 pm
    Lou Reply

Excellent, this was exactly what I was looking for. Thank you Donna! I am going to give PopcornMaker a try on my website. I can’t wait .. 😉

August 18, 2013 at 1:43 am