Our Latest Robust SEO Dictionary… on Steroids

SEO knowledge

Posted by: Gabriella Sannino

SEO Dictionary

SEO Dictionary

Are you tired of asking, “What’s this mean,” when you come across a new term? Probably. I’m in the business, but the lingo changes so rapidly, it’s easy even for those in the industry to get lost. For example, less than thirty years ago, “optimize” just meant “to make as perfect, effective, or functional as possible” (thanks Webster). Now… now it means more than you can put in one blog post. I know; I’ve tried.

I remember – not too long ago, it seems – when the term DAO came skipping through the industry’s verbiage. “DAO,” I thought. “What does that mean?” I had to dig around until I came up with the answer. “Oh. Duh. Digital Asset Optimization.” Because, see, that’s different than just making sure all your online marketing material is as functional as possible. -But hey, to whoever coined that term, kudos! That’s why we get the opportunity to present our latest robust SEO dictionary, right?

Well, now you know how this particular version came about. -But, do you know why it’s important to keep updated? Why did we dig for the meaning of DAO? Why is all of this so darned important? To which questions I say, “You have to learn to talk the talk if you’re going to understand how to walk the walk.”

• You have to know SEO terminology to become an optimizer. Otherwise, who’s going to be able to answer questions when you need another eye on the projects? No one will understand what you’re talking about.
  • You need to know SEO terminology if you’re going to talk to  an optimization agency about your site. Otherwise, how are you going to understand what they’re telling you?
  • You should know SEO terminology if you’re going to DIY. Otherwise, how can you understand what industry people are telling you so you can implement it?

In other words, no matter what you’re doing, it’s important to know the lingo before you dive in. What’s a citation? What’s the difference between a branded and non-branded key term? View the handy, interactive PowerPoint presentation below. Read it. Study it. Bookmark it, come back later, and test yourself. Gain the knowledge necessary to survive in an SEO world!

As I said at the beginning, it’s important to know the lingo. I hope you now know a little more optimization and internet marketing terminology; if you didn’t see something you’d like a definition for, make sure to drop us a note in the handy comment box below. We’ll keep updating our dictionary as the terms change, grow and multiply, so keep coming back and checking in!

Andalanku.Com Reply

March 6, 2013 at 11:19 am
    Bocah Poris Reply

I have been browsing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful than ever before.

March 7, 2013 at 1:30 am
    KeithRobinson Reply

The Robust SEO Dictionary must be a very exciting tool. I am new in the field of SEO and there are terms that gives me migraine once I came across them. There are time that not even online dictionaries are able to give me really suitable definitions for these terms.

March 26, 2013 at 6:50 pm
      Gabriella Sannino Reply

We do what we can, considering we started with 20 words. Now we’re up to over 140…I’m sure we’ll be adding more in the future.

March 26, 2013 at 7:00 pm
    Craig Gorman Reply

thanks for the informaton

April 3, 2013 at 8:52 pm
      level343 Reply

You’re welcome Craig, thanks for dropping by. 🙂

April 4, 2013 at 5:23 am
    Vishal Verma Reply

SEO dictionary? But what about the Wiki’s ..
    If I don’t understand any term I will prefer wikipedia…

May 11, 2013 at 4:44 am
      level343 Reply

Hey Vishai, of course you could also Google a term… many ways to get information. The beauty here (for us) is our definitions come from years of experience, research and peers in our industry. Last but not least our latest is a downloadable and interactive desktop version.

May 11, 2013 at 7:59 am
    Ajay Kumar Reply

Will it explain all the terms related to SEO. And give some knowledge to us about SEO.

June 12, 2013 at 12:17 am
      Gabriella Sannino Reply

Hello Ajay, the dictionary will give you over 140 terms, words, slang, etc. which will describe one aspect or another about marketing, SEO, PPC, etc. We are adding more words monthly. In regards to knowledge, that depends on how much you don’t know? Besides, all you have to do is read our blog and the ones we recommend (at the bottom of our blog) and you will get a great head start on understanding SEO.

June 12, 2013 at 6:14 am
        Ajay Kumar Reply

Thanks Gabriella. I will definitely follow your blog.

June 17, 2013 at 2:41 am
    Madan Gehlot Reply

This blog post is awesome! I come to know how SEO dictionary is helpful after reading this post. Going to bookmark it. thanks

June 13, 2013 at 9:41 am
    john Reply

Does SEO earlier called DAO? I think Seo 10 years back was really a simple job. But after many google updates it has become a very difficult task. Hope you share more posts on seo.

July 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm
    Glen Wilson Reply

What a great idea Gabriella. You have inspired me now to create my own glossary of terms for my clients. I have an upcoming webinar I am preparing for and this would be a great resource to provide

August 10, 2013 at 4:35 pm
      Gabriella Sannino Reply

Thanks Glen…this was actually fun. Which reminds me, I should update with new revisions. The interactive, downloadable .ppt file is a great give away.

August 11, 2013 at 9:56 am
    Josh Nadeau Reply

Really great list of terms. I blog on this niche daily and even can get lost in all the lingo. I’ll be using this glossary as a great personal resource. Thanks again.

August 20, 2013 at 10:04 pm
      Gabriella Sannino Reply

Hey Josh, please help yourself we do have a downloadable version! 🙂

August 21, 2013 at 8:23 am
    Andrew Shimmers Reply

You really have to be familiar with the terms used in SEO. Thanks for sharing some ideas. Keep it up!

September 6, 2013 at 2:21 am
    Philip Townsend Reply

What a good idea! I know when I was first introduced to SEO I had no idea what any of the terminology meant. A lot of the clients I work with still don’t know that much either because it’s such a new field to work in. It’s great to have access to definitions like this.

September 20, 2013 at 12:48 pm