Yes, content optimization is the best SEO. It’s one of the fundamental aspects of publishing content. Creating quality content for a target audience is only useful when the audience can find it and engage with it. For that reason, search engines are requiring more than specific word count and keyword density to place high in search rankings. More importantly, search engines are becoming more focused on offering the highest quality content available. In order to accomplish this, content creators must place more emphasis on creating well-written, relevant, and social media ready content; rather than simply placing a keyword throughout the page a specific amount of times.
In most cases, content creators believe they are following the proper procedures to create and share quality content; however, after careful analysis, the metrics may speak otherwise. The fact of the matter is that many content creators have difficulty with creating quality content and optimization. For that reason, it may be more beneficial for some creators to understand the “wrong” methods of content optimization before implementing some of the “right” methods.
Writing Content for the Search Engine
It is important to remember that search engines are altering the way criteria and rankings are viewed for quality content. Search engines are merely programs that are designed to use probability and mathematical algorithms. These are not actual users visiting a site. This is why it is important to write content that offers value to an audience. Write content that engages the visitor and offers relevant information is essential. However, there are a few aspects to avoid when writing content for a search engine:
• Producing content in “production mode” – This occurs when a massive amount of content is produced and it sacrifices quality for quantity. Although generating large amounts of content can improve sustainability, the result is typically average content. Placing emphasis on creating fewer pieces with higher quality can build reach and develop engagement. In some cases, telling a story and interacting with the visitor once a week is more beneficial than offer mediocre content on a daily basis.
• Improve keyword density – In today’s rankings, it may be best to use less keywords. Although placing keywords into each sentence was effective in the past; this practice is frowned upon today. It is better to place keywords in areas where they make sense and negate reaching a specific density percentage. This offers value to the content that feels more natural while answering questions and feeding curiosity.
• Concentrate on high-volume keywords – Small businesses may have an easier time gaining attention with long-tailed keywords that include at least three words.
Incorporating these types of keywords is an ideal way to optimize content without harming quality. High-volume keywords offer adequate search engine results and help visitors resolve specific problems.
Over-optimizing the Website
Using moderation can apply to optimization like many other aspects of business. Over-optimizing is a penalty that search engines enforce. This applies to stuffing Meta descriptions, title tags, and Meta keywords. In some cases, stuffing causes the search engine to treat the content as spam. This does not offer a beneficial result for the site or the brand. Although many of these tactics were useful in the past, they offer damaging results to rankings today.
Understanding the wrong methods of content optimization can help implement the right methods. Creating quality content and tackling content optimization requires specific procedures as well as following specific guidelines
Create Content that is Useful and Relevant
Creating practical content is essential to the success of any webpage. The content should have a specific purpose and goal. If the content lacks focus and quality, visitors generally leave the site quickly. When attempting to produce useful and quality content answer the following questions:
• Is the content educational?
• Does the content satisfy my visitor’s needs?
• Does the content answer specific questions?
• Is the content entertaining?
Whether the content is visual or written, it is important that it is useful and relevant. This type of content has the ability to attract visitors consistently, whereas basic SEO can feel forced and contrived. Stuffing keywords and padding content is not the best method of reaching and retaining visitors.
Create Content To Offer Value To Visitors
As aforementioned, search engines have updated algorithms to place more emphasis on relevance and quality. There is less focus on links and keywords. These engines are now concentrating on various metrics that include authority, bounce rate, engagement, and duration on page. Creating content and offering value to visitors is essential. For that reason, it is important to consider:
• Offering anchor links to the visitor that provide value, not simply to incorporate a link
• Review content to guarantee it is easy to understand and comprehend
• Only include keywords at points in the content where they are appropriate
These factors can help the content benefit the visitor and engage the audience. This is useful for creating content that is informative, relevant, and valuable.
Create a Yearly Content Plan
Creating a yearly content plan is a key aspect of optimization. In some instances, creating content when inspiration first strikes can offer exceptional work; however, creating content using this method is not a viable long-term option. Creating a yearly content plan helps provide the planning needed to create quality content for different events, holidays, and business milestones. Moreover, the content has the time to include proper optimization tactics such as:
• Recommended Links
• Meta keywords and descriptions
• Blog tags and categories and tags
• Example social media posts
When the content and the information are prepared in advance, it becomes less difficult to create quality content successfully and on time.
When creating quality content and implementing optimization tactics, it is important to remember that search engines are changing the guidelines for rankings. Currently, quality content that is informative and relevant has a higher chance of earning top rankings. Basic SEO and keyword stuffing are not the most effective way to create engaging, quality content. Quality content that answers questions, resolves problems, and satisfies the visitor’s needs is the new definition of content optimization.
There are more strategies in how to optimize your content for better SEO.
At Level343 we have increased our client’s rankings in the SERP’s. Let us help you by creating and implementing a content optimization roadmap. The Best SEO and roadmap with scalable branded content.