The Internet is a marketing resource that has unlimited potential. Currently, this platform and technique offers businesses the ability to create and maintain an online presence. Although startups are popping up more and more, sustaining a successful online business may require following specific guidelines.
There is a massive amount of information available on the Internet. The World Wide Web is a vast space that allows users to control, view, and access information they find interesting. For that reason, putting a specific product or service in front of a potential customer can be a difficult task. However, many businesses combat this issue by designing and implementing an effective online marketing strategy. Although many startups have a limited budget, there are several useful tips to develop a successful online marketing strategy inexpensively.
Brand The Startup
Branding the startup is an ideal way to create a distinction between the business and its competition. There are hundreds of thousands of businesses attempting to sell products online daily. Developing a unique and distinct brand can make the startup memorable. When creating an exclusive brand, it is important to design a high-quality website. Moreover, the domain name for the website should be the name of the business. In most cases, the startup should avoid using a name that is similar to another business. This may cause confusion with another business or product.
How the brand is perceived by potential customers is in the hands of the startup. Online marketing and branding requires developing a strategy, being consistent, and sticking with the process. It is important to remember that branding the startup requires more than simply having a strong social media presence and creating a high-quality website. Successful brands develop relationships with potential customers and interact with them regularly.
Understanding Your Content (Digital Assets)
Startups need to understand that there are five primary types of content to publish online. Similar to social media platforms, each type of content has its advantages and disadvantages. When developing content to publish, startups should always consider their target market.
- Video: Research has shown that users rather watch videos than read. Placing introduction and informative videos on the homepage is beneficial to startups. Videos can inform existing customers and intrigue potential customers.
- eBook/Guides: Informational products are popular and can create reoccurring revenue. These products can include subscriptions that generate monthly income. Successful online marketing strategies provide free eBooks in exchange for customer contact information. Interacting with the customer about the eBook is an effective way to start conversation.
- Newsletter: Although email marketing is not as popular as other forms of marketing, this tool is far from obsolete. Subscribing to the business’s newsletter should be simple and straightforward. Newsletters offer a connection to customers that can create opportunities for direct marketing. The newsletter should provide authentic value and not simply promote a new product. Newsletters are a great way to offer promotions, discounts, and industry news.
- Webinar: This type of content can give potential customers a peace of mind. Allowing customers to hear a voice and allowing them to interact with the business has several benefits. Webinars can provide value to existing customers and generate new leads.
- Blogs: Blog posts should be free thinking and well researched, based on helping readers maximize their online presence. It can establish your brands authority and can build a strong community.
Tell an Engaging Story
Telling a compelling story is a useful tool for sales and promotion. Telling customers how the startup developed specific solutions or how the business struggled to get financing can create a connection with customers. Telling a story is an effective way to set a business apart from its competition. Online marketing for startups revolves around interacting with the customer and developing a genuine relationship.
Although this marketing platform is common practice, many startups need to do more than simply sign up for these services. Successful online marketing strategies require the startup to stay active on all social media platforms. Social media, when used properly, is used to communicate with customers and promote business-related content. In most cases, customers will not follow businesses on social media unless the business gives them an incentive.
*Tip: Make sure you research where your community is. Don’t start on Facebook if they are on Twitter, etc. Take time to do the research. You can see some updated facts about social media here.
Search Engine Optimization
Developing an online marketing strategy requires using best SEO standards. For example when customers search for products or services relevant to the startup, the startup needs to rank high on SERPs. That’s a given, but in order to rank high in SERPs, the startup must do their due diligence and understand how to approach SEO. How to make the website more interesting to readers and search engines alike. The most basic approach, including minimal actions would be to select commonly searched keywords and customizing meta tags that reflect relevance to the site. Although some sites need more complex solutions than just SEO, the ultimate goal for SEO is to rank first on search engines.
*Tip: Read our SEO with A Bite in order to get a more in depth understanding of an SEO with a strategy
Online marketing and branding for startups is a multifaceted process. Startups must grab the attention of potential customers and retain it. Social media and SEO are effective common knowledge practices. However, startups must understand the various aspects of online marketing in order to develop and implement a successful marketing strategy.
Very effective and powerful article on online marketing for startups. This article helps me to start my online marketing.Very much informative and helpful. Every points discussed above is knowledgeable. This truly helps online marketing starter. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and idea.
Very nice article Level 343. I am an search optimizer who is more into digital marketing now and recently I started my own training company. Being a startup company, I completely agree on the points you made, additionally I would suggest all startups to communicate in their offline networks too. Offline networking through seminars, events are great to let people know about your product or service and will give you lots of valuable contacts.
In online marketing try to interact with few of your industry influencers/leaders and convince them to use your product or service (at free or nominal charges), if they feel good about it tell them to write a review or a blog post about your things. Believe me or not few of them can give good things to your startup year after year.
Also concentrate on social media sites and always maintain a account consistency on every social networking sites.
Maven, excellent points…thanks for sharing them!! 🙂
Definitely agree banding in startups online is important.